Here are some of the problems with laptops:
- Students are not mobile. They cannot stand up and take their laptop around the school, outside or into different social contexts.
- Laptops are designed to be solitary. You can't work in a group behind one laptop.
- You can't share laptops and pass them around to people.
- The teacher needs to sit behind a laptop too!
- It is passive learning. You can study online by yourself.
- They take up space in the classroom.
- They are heavy to carry.
At Connect School of Languages in Toronto, Canada, our English curriculum is mobile not web-based. No laptop is needed. No smart boards. No rows upon rows of PCs or laptops. Students can download the curriculum and study anywhere. The classroom is open and free of cables everywhere. Nothing heavy to carry around.